Are Women Judges more suited for Rape cases?

I think the clearance of the bill which says Women judges will try rape cases is a landmark initiative. I think it will encourage the victims and their families to step forward and approach court in the hope that a women judge can be more understanding and show sensitivity in the procedure rather than an all male jury.
The statisitcs related to the rape cases in India are truly mind boggling. According to the NCRB (National Crime Records Bureau) , atleast 1 women is raped in India in 29 minutes!!! Nearly 60,000 cases are pending trial in the courts all over the country and we are not even speaking of the innumerable cases that go unreported!!
The reason for this prevailing condition is more than obivious. The social stigma attached with cases involving RAPE, the social ostracism, loss of face, back lash from the oppressor and to relive the trauma again in front of the Male judge is more than enough to unnerve any one. And how many instances of a case, in which a rape victim has got justice, have you heard? The occurences are few and far between. Many a times the accussed is left to go scot free. Its the victim who is made to feel responsible for the atrocities commited on her. Where is the justice in that?
A women judge is free of prejudices and can create an atmosphere of deterrence and safety in which the victim can feel free to express herself, thereby granting her the opportunity of getting a speedy ,apt and a well deserved Justice!!

posted under |

1 comments:

Amol said...

Yes i totally agree with this fact.I think women will be d best judge for cases against rape.Thy can understand a women's feelings n watever she has gone through.so this shud be done.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Home

Hello and welcome to my blog.

My name is Ganesh Parab and I am a writer, techie and guitarist based out of Mumbai, India. I love photography and am passionate about travelling, exploring the unexplored on my trusted bike and capturing all the candid moments on my Nikon.

This blog for me represents freedom of expression and sharing my opinions with the rest of the world. This blog is my story. You can also follow me on